Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Yellowstone Hike from Blacktail to Gardiner

On Monday, seeing that i had no boats to take out, went with Pam and Derek on a 14 mile hike in Yellowstone. We started at west Blacktail and hiked North to meet up with the Yellowstone river and followed it back to Gardiner. It was a sight to see! Walking through huge canyons and seeing awesome creeks and falls was and adventure to say the least. I have some pictures that I'll put up so you guys can see. I also took some awesome video of the river, but I can't figure out how to post that yet. We say a Bull Elk driving through mammoth and then saw some prong horn antelope. On the hike we also saw some Elk antler sheds and a Marmot. It was one of the funniest animals peeking over the rocks at us.
We stopped and had lunch at a waterfall which was Deer Creek that was eventually meeting up with the Yellowstone river. From there we crossed the Yellowstone River VIA a suspension bridge and took a photo of all of us(which I will Post). From then on we followed the river back to town stopping at all the sweet rapids that were probably class IV and V. Towards the end of the hike it started to rain and we got bogged down with mud on the bottom of our shoes. It made the walk back much more intense as we frequently stopped to scrap the mud from our shoes on nearby rocks.
We finally made it back to town and by that time my knee was sore enough that i just laid down and didn't get up until we had our meeting at 6:30. The meeting pertained to facts about the yellowstone that we could tell our customers on the boats. Geology, plants, animals, history, etc it was a really cool meeting.
Thats about it for now and I will try to put up as many pictures as i can .

1 comment:

  1. ALEX! I finally figured out how to post a comment! Your pictures are all gorgeous, I'm really jealous. Mom's been talking about planning a trip to Montana, but I can't make it because I'm only allowed to skip two classes (a week long trip would require that I skip four). Any fun plans for the fourth? I bet you guys are pretty busy on the only summer holiday, but I want you to know that we'll be thinking of you. We all miss you tons Alex, its like when Alicia went to Australia sort of...anyways! I hope you are having fun and making lifetime memories :) HA! I wish you were here to hear Alicia talk about wedding things...it seems so odd because she's a little more nonchalant than Ashley was, but she just seems so YOUNG! I'm trying to think of anything that is new with me, struggling soon to be biologist, just working and taking class (blah)....i'll comment more as I think of more to say, sorry I haven't called but I feel like you're busy or sleeping...haha i don't know. I MISS YOU BROTHER :(

    LOVE YOU
    andrea

    ReplyDelete