Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hike to Black Mt. and Pine Lake

Sunday June 21st I decided to skip out on my 4:30 standby to go hiking with Mark, Kevin and Jen. We went up into the Western Beartooth mountains which was the best hike thus far. We scaled up around 4000 feet and got to the lake that sat at 9032 feet. And let me tell you it was no easy feet. Mark and I decided to bring our fishing poles because it was said that this lake had some of the best fishing in it.

When we finally reached the top after a good 4hrs of hiking we realized that the lake was still frozen. I know!! what the heck....its the middle of June and still frozen over!!? I guess that's the mountains for ya. None the less there was some open spots of water where we could still cast. So after a couple of casts there was no luck and to make things even better I got a nice birds nest in my line. EVEN AT 9000+ FEET I CAN'T ESCAPE BIRD NESTS!!! GOD!!! But I eventually fixed the problem like I always do and took a couple more casts and of course caught nothing. It was still a great place to fish though. There couldn't have been a better scene.

Other things on the way up were two really cool water falls and some smaller crystal clear lakes. A really cool part of the hike was the fact that we had to trudge through snow and we even lost the trail at certain points. The coolest part of the snow was the descent. We slid down the snow sheets to make the drop a little quicker. It was hilarious whatching everyone ski on the bottom of their hiking boots and trying to stay up. All in all the best hike so far even though we didn't catch any fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment